Glühwein or Mulling Spice
Roughly translated, Glühwein means “glowing wine”, so naturally, we are here for it! This European tradition is spooned up hot and with alcohol or without, but must come with a festive list of herbs and spices like orange and lemon peel, cinnamon, clove, fennel, anise star and cardamom. Toss in a cinnamon stick or plump shot of kirsch liquor, and get ready to glow!
Mulled wine Instructions ;
* Add 1 bottle of red wine (non alcohol version, add 6 cups of apple cider) to a sauce pan or small crock pot. A fruity red wine is best. dry wines are not sweet enough.
* Add 1-2 TBLS of Mulling Spice in a cheese cloth or tea bag. Adding fruit is optional but we like to add sliced oranges and lemon.
* Add 2 TBLS sugar (you can add more later to adjust sweetness)
* Stir on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. *DO NOT ALLOW WINE TO BOIL.
* Simmer on low fro about 30 min.
* Strain or remove spices and serve warm in festive mugs.